Two Pashupatinath temples are famous in the world, one in Kathmandu of Nepal and the other in Mandsaur of India. The idols in both temples are of similar shape. The temple of Nepal is located in Kathmandu on the banks of the Bagmati River and has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site. This temple is grand and tourists from all over the country and abroad come here.
Meaning of Pashupati
Pashu means Jiva or creature and Pati means owner and Nath means owner or God. This means that Pashupatinath is the lord or God of all the living beings of the world. Pashupatinath in other sense means lord of life.
Introduction to Temple
This temple is a fine blend of Hindu and Buddhist architecture. The main pagoda-style temple is located in a protected courtyard, which is guarded by the Nepal Police. This temple is spread over an area of about 264 hectares, which includes 518 temples and monuments.
The Pashupatinath Linga Deity has four faces in the four directions and a fifth face in the upper part. In the right hand of each face figure, there is a rosary of Rudraksha and in the left hand there is a kamandal. Each face reveals different qualities. The first face is the 'aghor' face, which is facing south. The east face is called 'Tatpurush'. The north face is the 'Ardhanarishvara' form. The western face is called 'Sadyojata'. The upper part is called 'Ishaan' mouth. This is the formless face. This is the best face of Lord Pashupatinath.According to the belief, the Jyotirlinga of Pashupatinath temple is like a Paras stone.
When does the temple Open
This temple is open every day from 4 am to 7 pm. The temple doors are closed only in the afternoon and at five in the evening. The best time to visit the temple is early morning and late evening. It takes 90 to 120 minutes to tour the entire temple complex.
Daily Rituals Of Pashupatinath Temple
- 4:00 am: West gate opens for tourists.
- 8:30 am: After the arrival of the priests the idols of the god are bathed and cleaned, clothes and ornaments are changed for the day.
- 9:30 am: BalBhog or breakfast is offered to the Lord.
- 10:00 am: Then those wishing to worship are welcomed. It is also called pharmayashi puja, whereby people ask the priest to perform a particular puja for their specified reasons. The puja continues till 1:45 pm.
- 1:50 pm: Lunch is offered to the deity at the main Pashupati temple.
- 2:00 PM: Morning prayer ends.
- 5:15 pm: Evening aarti begins at the main Pashupati temple.
- 6:00 PM: The center of attraction is the Ganga Aarti which takes place on the banks of Bagmati. You can mostly see this aarti on Saturdays, Mondays and special occasions only. Ganga Aarti is performed in the evening, along with the Tandava hymn of Shiva, written by Ravana.
- 7:00 pm: The door closes.
Recognition of temple
In relation to the Pashupatinath temple, it is believed that the person who visits this place never gets animal vagina again in any birth. However, the condition is that one should not have darshan of Nandi before the Shivling. If he does this, then in the next birth he has to become an animal. You can also hear many stories from the people around about the glory of the temple. If someone meditates for half an hour in the temple, that creature becomes free from many problems.
Other Important Temple in Pashupatinath
- Vasuki Nath Temple
- Unmatta Bhairav Temple
- Surya Narayan Temple
- Kirti Mukha Bhairav Temple
- BudanilKantha Temple Hanuman Murti
- 184 Shivalinga idols are present from the main room while in the outer premises Ram Mandir
- ViratSwaroop Temple
All India Tour and Taxi offers cheap and convenient Pashupatinath tour packages from different parts of India and Nepal. We have 5 years of experience to arrange a tour package for Pashupatinath and other pilgrims in Nepal. We know the value of money and time very well, that's why we always provide a customized Itinerary for Pashupatinath Darshan and it will always fit in your pocket- friendly budget.